Sunday, October 27, 2013

Personal Advocacy Journey

The quote that I found inspirational "Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them" by Lady Bird Johnson (Former U.S. first Lady)(Compassion.com/child/advocacy). 

My advocacy action plan that I chose to write on was, what can early childhood educators provide children and families to create a smooth transition from early intervention to Pre K.  My inspiration came from my desire to provide the children with the most beneficial beginning in their educational future. 

One challenge that I may face is leaving out important facts or steps that would be necessary in the resource booklet for the families.

One way to overcome my challenging emotions would be to ensure that I provide all of the pertinent information gathered from qualified sources to include in my booklet for the parents. 

I can encourage others in their advocacy efforts by encouraging them to remember the reason that they were willing to become involved in their efforts and that each person's involvement actually does make a difference.  People can encourage me by providing the same encouragement and reminding me of my reasons for becoming involved and providing me with their ideas and suggestions that I can implement into my plan for my booklet.

Reference:
Johnson, Lady Bird, Famous Quotes about Children.  Former US first Lady.  website www.compassion.com/child-advocacy/find-your-voice/famous/quotes









 
      
 


6 comments:

  1. I really like the quote that inspires you and your topic for your advocacy action plan. Children entering Pre-K is a big step for many of them. Pre-K often raises expectations for independence and for learning many new things. Allen and Schwartz (2001) states that “there are a number of ways to optimize the transition to preschool, advance planning and communication among all providers and the family are essential” (p. 331). Therefore, planning is needed to minimize the difference between programs and to ensure that children and families have a smooth transition.
    I believe that we have similarities on our challenges but if we work hard we will accomplish what we set out to do. This is one of my favorite quotes
    The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.
    - Oprah Winfrey
    References
    Allen,K., E. & Schwartz, I. S. (2001). The exceptional child inclusion in early childhood education. Clifton Park, NY Delmar Thomson Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand now the real important of advocacy. As professionals we bring many things to the table when we get involved in advocacy for young children and their families, we have many hates to wear and I am very proud to wear those hats.

    I really like your inspired message. I feel the same way, if I can help the parents to try solve their some of their problems which can be developing problem where their child may not be able to enhance their development or learning skills.

    Once I talked to the parents at my internship site that gave me so many ideals and express their feelings about many issues and really wants to be a part of the advocacy plan I am working on for the site. I am so over whelm with information I do not know which way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your quote. If we expect nothing from children then we get nothing in return. When we expect the moon we get the moon. I feel that communication is the biggest problem with transition. Too often the communication gets lost and transitions are difficult. With out the even one important step our system can be thrown off. I would like to know some of your suggestions for the transitions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes our advocacy efforts begins without us even knowing that we are advocates. I think quotes like what you have mentioned is something that we should always keep in our mind. We need to be positive about children and try to think thta every child in this world have a beautiful mind, as adults we need to recognize it without looking at the child from our point of view or by comparison.
    I really like your advocacy efforts, to be honest I think it is a very challenging process. As a parent I feel the sadness and dissapointment of parents when they hear the disabilities. They definitely need help to overcome thta emotional period and think positive on the process. I wish you good luck in your advocacy process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard that quote before. It hits home every time. I think that you have chosen an exciting topic for your advocacy. I was fortunate enough to work in a building that housed Head Start, Pre K, and Early Intervention. They had a great working relationship. When a child was ready to transition the teachers all worked together to make that happen. Very often that involved having the child visit the prospective class to get comfortable. They coordinated any services and shared IEPs. Good luck with you advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little confused about your topic. Early Intervention is for toddlers with special needs, and Preschool is a general education classroom. Do you mean from EI to CPSE? Or do you mean from day care to preschool? If you are talking about EI to CPSE, I think one of the most important things you should stress is for the parents to be involved. In EI, the parents have to give consent to be enrolled and participate in the process, but when they transition to CPSE, the parent does not need to be involved to the extent. I think that stressing the importance of staying involved and having their voices heard at the meetings is very important. Good luck on your research! I have recently moved into an integrated toddler classroom and will have to be doing a lot of work with EI and transitioning to CPSE, so I am very interested in what you find!!

    ReplyDelete